Manager, Program Strategy and Performance
This role was posted on October 31, 2023. Please note that we will review applications on a rolling basis and prioritize those received within the first two weeks of posting.
As of March 1, 2022, Last Mile Health requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 wherever legally allowable and adhere to COVID-19 vaccination requirements to perform core work activities in all locations. To learn more, review our policy.
At Last Mile Health, we do things differently, despite the challenges. Do you have robust experience in project management, knowledge management, and relationship-building? If so, you may be our next Manager, Program Strategy and Performance, Liberia.
The Manager, Program Strategy and Performance, Liberia is responsible for managing strategy, planning and performance monitoring efforts that aim to improve the overall effectiveness of the Liberia country program. The Manager will play a critical role in equipping the Liberia Country Director’s office and the Executive Management Team with the information they need to effectively oversee key programmatic and operational aspects of the Liberia Country program. This role will also work in close collaboration with the Global Program Strategy and Performance Team, which supports all LMH country programs to institutionalize standard strategic and performance practices.
The Manager will be integral to the Liberia program's success. Collaborating closely with the Country Director and the Liberia Executive Management Team (LEMT), the Manager will lead coordination, planning, and project management efforts for newly developed country strategies. This encompasses overseeing annual and quarterly planning, monitoring performance, managing grants, and implementing effective accountability systems. The Manager will also be responsible for strategically allocating global technical support within the Liberia program, ensuring a standardized approach. With a focus on institutionalizing essential practices, this role involves managing a diverse range of program strategies. Your work directly contributes to extending essential healthcare services to underserved communities.
This role is located in Monrovia, Liberia and is open to both Liberian nationals and international candidates located in or willing to relocate to Liberia.
What you’ll do
Work with the Country Director and LEMT to:
- Ensure that all critical resources associated with the country program are easily accessible to different stakeholders (i.e. health system overviews, programmatic documents, etc.); as needed, ensure this information is well packaged in an easily accessible way for different audiences.
- Integrate the country strategy into annual planning and support review of the country strategy in collaboration with the Director, Program Strategy and Performance (PSP) and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MERL) teams.
- Assist the Liberia team in designing intervention strategies, including team structure and expertise needed for implementation.
Program Planning & Performance
- Work closely with the Executive Coordinator to ensure that the Country Director is equipped with the most pertinent information related to outcomes of LEMT meetings and its impact on country program performance.
- Regularly update and maintain planning, performance and risk management dashboards (objectives and key results, work plan, grant commitments, budget, risk registry) with oversight from the Liberia Country Director and the LEMT.
- Lead facilitation of standard org-wide practice of conducting monthly reviews of objectives and key results with the Country Director and their manager.
- Provide coordination and project management support to prepare for and follow up from the org-wide practice of quarterly program reviews and revisions (i.e. deep dives).
- Work with PSP’s Director and Senior Grants Manager to support the management of the Liberia team’s portfolio of grants (i.e., scheduling meetings, taking notes, tracking and following up on action items, and general knowledge management).
- Work with the Country Director and LEMT to provide coordination and backstopping support for proposal development, grant launch, tracking systems and close-out as needed
- Manage project setup and ongoing support for complex projects and grants as directed by the Country Director. This includes defining work scope, creating plans, organizing roles, managing budgets, setting agendas, scheduling meetings, note-taking, tracking action items, and knowledge management.
- Collaborate with Knowledge Management champions to facilitate knowledge sharing within the Liberia team. Help package and disseminate program implementation learnings across the organization.
Facilitation & Coordination
- Manage Liberia's interdepartmental working groups (TWGs) and global-country coordination meetings. Handle agenda setting, note-taking, action item tracking, and follow-ups. Strengthen collaboration, clarify roles, and align priorities between Liberia departments and global and country teams.
- Work with the Country Director to ensure the development and implementation of Last Mile Health’s knowledge management agenda
- Work with the Country Director and act as a “bridge” between Liberia and enterprise-level teams by helping navigate org-wide systems and processes; understand and connect with the right support teams for their needs; clarify what is required for quarterly planning, annual planning, etc.
- Provide administrative support to an org-wide system and process that aligns country support requests with available technical services from global teams.
Team Systems Building & Culture
- Partner with the Country Director and the LEMT to foster a team culture that reflects LMH’s values (such as DEI) and supports the health and performance of a new and growing team
- Contribute to team systems and culture building
What You'll Bring
- A Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree, or a Master's degree in Public Health, Development Studies, Global Health, or a related field is required.
- Progressive experience or formal education in management.
- Demonstrated experience delivering results to executive teams in short time frames and complex, fast-moving work environments
- Intimate knowledge of community/primary healthcare policy, international health and development issues at the global level
- Demonstrated experience in driving performance improvement in complex organizational environments.
- Robust experience working in a fast-paced NGO, business or government organization
- Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience living and/or working in Sub-Saharan Africa, preferably Liberia
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have expertise in project and process management: The ability to streamline tasks, identify efficiency opportunities, set clear objectives, assign tasks, and continuously improve processes.
- You have strong communication, facilitation and interpersonal skills; and the ability to interface with diverse stakeholders in a range of multi-disciplinary settings.
- You possess the ability to support and contribute to adaptively managing multiple projects across different teams, cultural contexts, time zones, and work habits, with high attention to detail and quality control.
- You are mission-driven with a commitment to health, social justice, human rights and gender equity.
At Last Mile Health, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means that we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to their identity or personal relationships. We have made this model fully transparent so that everyone has access to all information related to compensation. We hope this helps you better understand Last Mile Health’s values and commitments to our employees. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Before applying to this role, please take a moment to learn more about our approach to compensation and how compensation works in each of the countries where we operate. Please find the link to our compensation model and benefits overview below:
Compensation for this position:
The Band for this position: LBR-3
For Liberia, the salary range is an annual gross of $20,862 - $39,407 dependent upon experience doing an equivalent role. Please note that compensation is subject to Liberian taxes.
For International staff, the salary range is an annual gross of $50,862 USD to $69,407 USD depending upon experience doing an equivalent role. Please note that compensation is subject to Liberian taxes.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.