This role was posted on September 11, 2023. Please note that we will review applications on a rolling basis and prioritize those received within the first two weeks of posting.
As of March 1, 2022, Last Mile Health requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 wherever legally allowable and adhere to COVID-19 vaccination requirements to perform core work activities in all locations. To learn more, review our policy.
At Last Mile Health (LMH), we are all stewards of our reputation and our resources. Do you have a track record of complex operations and relevant experience with Program Operations, Logistics and Compliance? If so, you may be the next Operations Manager, Sierra Leone.
Reporting to the Program Director, Sierra Leone, the Operations Manager will lead the coordination of program operations necessary to implement work in Community Health Worker Supervision, Skills, and Data Systems. They will also liaise with LMH's global business services teams by managing key operations workstreams at the country level, including procurement/logistics, registration, compliance, people operations, safety & security, and transportation. Additionally, they will ensure that all non-financial organizational statutory registrations are up to date and that all government-related operational regulations are met.
The Operations Manager will be responsible for maintaining up-to-date non-financial organizational statutory registrations. They will diligently ensure that all government-related operational regulations are consistently met, providing a strong foundation for Last Mile Health's activities in Sierra Leone. This role is instrumental in the organization's mission to extend essential healthcare services to underserved communities, making a significant impact in the lives of many.
This role is located in Freetown, Sierra Leone and is open to nationals located in Sierra Leone.
What You'll Do
- Collaborate with relevant stakeholders on the Country and Global teams to develop and implement Annual Procurement and Operational plans for the Sierra Leone Program.
- Work with relevant stakeholders to establish operations in districts in-country that the Sierra Leone program team identifies for operationalisation (e.g. office space set up, vendor selection, registration agreements, Ops policies, etc.).
- Manage travel, transportation, and logistics for program activities in Sierra Leone.
- Select and manage vendors who provide services for the Sierra Leone program.
- Support team members with hardware and software management, in partnership with a globally managed IT company.
- Analyze procurement requests, develop service contracts/agreements for outsourced services and monitor the performance of service providers.
- Collect internationally procured materials from customs, ensuring compliance with all regulations and obtaining the necessary documentation.
- Continuously assess and identify the operational teams' needs. Work with Sierra Leone leadership and global teams to provide recommendations and solutions for improving compliance, system design, and programmatic activity execution.
- Collaborate with the Sierra Leone Program Leadership and the Global Safety and Security Council to implement appropriate processes and systems that ensure the safety and security of staff and visitors.
Facilities & Office Management
- Oversee facilities management (including office supplies, cleaning schedule, Security, and maintenance) for the Freetown and district LMH offices.
- Develop and maintain an asset registry, and ensure that assets are managed in accordance with LMH protocols and policies.
- Provide support for visitors in the country, including guidance on visas, in-country transportation, and serving as the point person for any visitor questions.
- Finalize the registration of Last Mile Health as an INGO.
- Act as a liaison between business regulators (including the National Revenue Authority, NASSIT, auditors, and pensions) and the organization.
- Support Global Operations in developing office-specific policies and standard operating procedures (SOPs), storing them appropriately, sharing them via file and knowledge management platforms, and rolling them out to Sierra Leone staff (e.g. security, transportation, procurement).
- Effectively manage all necessary statutory and governmental registrations, licenses, and insurance required for the efficient operation of the Sierra Leone Program.
- Ensure that the Sierra Leone office operates in compliance with Last Mile's policies and values and that it meets all relevant government, industry, and donor standards.
- Working alongside the People Operations team to support in organizing new employee onboarding and ensure staff have the assets they need to start their role.
- Collaborate with the Finance Department and the Sierra Leone Department of Immigration to assist with entry and work visas for new or visiting staff.
- Support administration of benefits for Sierra Leone-based staff in collaboration with the Global Finance and People Operations teams
- Ensure compliance of the Sierra Leone team/office with all Organizational People Operations Policies and Government Labor laws and regulations.
What You'll Bring
- Relevant years of professional experience in business operations, systems building and team coordination.
- Demonstrated experience in supporting INGO registration in Sierra Leone.
- Proven experience working with Sierra Leone regulatory bodies (e.g. NRA, NASSIT, MOPED, SLANGO).
- Demonstrated experience managing internationally procured items in Sierra Leone (e.g. picking up a vehicle from the port).
- Strong project management skills.
- Attention to detail, deadlines, and quality of delivery.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with employees, management, and external stakeholders at all levels is crucial for maximizing performance, creativity, problem-solving, and achieving results.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite applications.
You’ll Impress Us If
- Demonstrated experience in managing operations for non-governmental organizations in Sierra Leone.
- Demonstrated experience setting up district operations.
At Last Mile Health, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to their identity or personal relationships. We have made this model fully transparent so that everyone has access to all information related to compensation. We hope this helps you better understand Last Mile Health’s values and commitments to our employees.
We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Before applying to this role, please take a moment to learn more about our approach to compensation and how compensation works in each of the countries where we operate. Please find the link to our compensation model and benefits overview below:
Compensation for this position:
The Band for this position: SLE-3
For Sierra Leone, the range is $12,840 - $25,680 USD dependent upon experience doing an equivalent role. Please note that this compensation is subject to Sierra Leone taxes. Alongside the published salary range for this position, employees receive both government-mandated benefits (transportation & housing) and LMH benefits (paid time off, child school fee benefit, data/airtime benefits, health insurance, life insurance, and more).
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.