Director, Contract Management
This position was posted on November 14, 2022. While we review all applications on a rolling basis, please note that we will prioritize applications received within the first two weeks of the posting. Thank you.
As of March 1, 2022, Last Mile Health requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 wherever legally allowable and adhere to COVID-19 vaccination requirements to perform core work activities in all locations. To learn more, review our policy.
At Last Mile Health, we make bold commitments that inspire innovation. Do you have experience launching fit-for-purpose subcontractor management systems with a focus on compliance and efficiency? If so, you may be our next Director, Contract Management.
Africa Frontline First (AFF) Initiative aims to support ten countries in Sub-Saharan Africa to build high-functioning, resilient, country-led community health service delivery with an expanded and institutionalized health workforce of 200,000 CHWs by 2030. Anchored within the local context and health reform journey of each country, these shifts in community health service delivery will contribute to reduce excess morbidity and mortality from COVID-19, Malaria, TB, and HIV, prevent maternal and child mortality, advance health security, and accelerate economic recovery at the community level following the pandemic. In turn, these investments in community health are critical to progress on the health SDGs, including ending AIDS, TB, and Malaria, expanding universal health coverage (UHC), and as well as ensuring effective pandemic preparedness and response to COVID-19 and future pandemics.
The AFF initiative is led as a collaborative effort by the Financing Alliance for Health, Last Mile Health, and Community Health Impact Coalition under the leadership of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf.
As part of the AFF Initiative, Last Mile Health anticipates receiving a contract to implement community health systems strengthening activities across multiple countries through subcontracted partners and technical assistance. This position will be primarily supporting this project, and is contingent on award.
Reporting to the Co-Executive Director, AFF, the Director, Contract Management is responsible for the development and execution of all stages (pre- and post award) of the subcontract lifecycle. They lead in interpreting and translating prime funder rules and regulations; supporting programmatic and operational teams in setting and packaging requirements; and ensuring compliance to policies and procedures. The Director will be required to work closely with programmatic and financial teams, as well as external stakeholders, to promote a consistent, compliant, and effective approach to subcontract management. They will provide technical input and support to build subcontract management systems that meet funder and internal requirements, and perform compliance and risk analysis activities to ensure quality, effectiveness, and fidelity.
This position is only open to candidates who are currently located and authorized to work in Ghana and will be hired on a 12-month fixed term contract with potential for renewal.
What You'll Do
- Interpret prime award flow-downs applicable to subcontracting actions and support teams on best practice approaches for contract types, sourcing or competition requirements, and strategies for subaward monitoring, compliance, and/or corrective action
- Support robust pre-award reviews, assessment, and due diligence processes; including coordination of and advice to selection committees on technical evaluation and merit reviews
- Draft, issue, and negotiate standard and complex binding legal instruments and modifications thereto; including updates to prime funder rules, regulations, and terms and conditions
- Participate in award start-up meetings to support and provide guidance related to subcontracting needs
- Participate in the process of programmatic and financial performance management for decision-making; including review of budgets and work plans, disbursement requests, and other documentation
- Seek opportunities to create efficiency and innovation in business processes across internal workflows
- Acts as a focal point for the development, standardization, execution, and reporting of information on contract management processes
- Prepare informational briefs and coordinate responses to requests for information from internal and external parties
- Work with program teams to understand and execute subcontract needs and facilitate coordination, cooperation, communication, and learning throughout
- Conduct reporting for internal and external audiences using finance system and internal tools
- Work with finance to facilitate disbursement, due diligence, and audit as needed
- Uphold ethical principles associated with contract management, conduct business with integrity, and apply critical thinking skills to identify risks and propose resolution strategies
- Provide ongoing thought partnership, coaching, and technical support to the Coordinator, Contract Management and serve as a resource on best practice across the organization
What You'll Bring
- 4-6 years’ experience in contracts administration and/or compliance, specifically subcontracting tasks, workflows, systems, and policies and procedures and serving in a customer service function
- Proven experience applying contracting knowledge across many types of funders, including experience interpreting USG rules and regulations
- Ability to understand prime contract contents to ensure lower-tier compliance
- Previous financial and program management experience
- Experience working in multicultural environments, with the ability to provide guidance to people with different cultural backgrounds, training, and experience
- Demonstrated skills in effective time management and work prioritization, including strong ability to manage conflicting priorities in high volume portfolios, minimizing delays and navigating around/through obstacles while maintaining strong attention to detail
- Strong ability to consult, communicate, and where appropriate represent LMH with partners on specific projects/tasks
- Proven written and spoken communication skills in English, including ability to negotiate legal language in contracting documents
- Evidence of self-directed work style both independently and as part of a high-performing team
- Professional, punctual, and reliable, with a desire to learn and grow
- Demonstrated enthusiasm, energy, and composure under pressure
- Commitment to health and social justice
You'll Impress Us If
- You have working proficiency in French
At Last Mile Health, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means that we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to their identity or personal relationships. We have made this model fully transparent so that everyone has access to all information related to compensation. We hope this helps you better understand Last Mile Health’s values and commitments to our employees. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Before applying to this role, please take a moment to learn more about our approach to compensation and how compensation works in each of the countries where we operate. Please find the link to our compensation model and benefits overview below:
OVERVIEW OF LAST MILE HEALTH’S COMPENSATION MODEL
Compensation for this position:
The Band for this position: SLB-5
For Ghana, the range is $107,505 - $118,531 USD depending upon experience doing an equivalent role.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.