District Coordinator, Sierra Leone
This role was posted on December 22, 2024. Please note that we will review applications on a rolling basis.
As of March 1, 2022, Last Mile Health requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 wherever legally allowable and adhere to COVID-19 vaccination requirements to perform core work activities in all locations. To learn more, review our policy.
At Last Mile Health (LMH), we go as far as it takes for our patients. Are you skilled at coordinating and managing projects in the healthcare sector? If so, you may be our next District Coordinator.
The District Coordinator (DC) will have a crucial role in managing and coordinating the operational and programmatic work of Last Mile Health (LMH) in the Kambia district. As the main link between the District Health Management Team (DHMT) and Last Mile Health Sierra Leone Program, this position is responsible for ensuring that LMH activities in the district are implemented and managed with high quality.
The District Coordinator will work closely with the Directorate of Primary Health Care (DPHC) and the CHW (Community Health Worker) Hub, in consultation with the LMH Country team, to ensure that the National CHW Program (NCHWP) is efficiently integrated into the district's health system. To achieve an exemplary CHW district, the Coordinator will provide technical assistance to the CHW focal and ensure strong collaboration with disease focal persons (TB, HIV, and Malaria), other key DHMT members (DLO, Pharmacist, District Supervisors, PHU staff, etc.), and communities (CHWs, FMCs, VDC, etc.) for an improved and quality CHW program and health service delivery. The District Coordinator will be responsible for various tasks, including supervision, digital health, CHIS data review and use, operational planning, and stakeholder management, to ensure an efficient and effective CHW program and health service delivery.
This role is located in Kambia District, Sierra Leone and is open to Sierra Leonean nationals. This role is an on-site role in Sierra Leone.
What you'll do
Program coordination and management:
- Work closely with the DHMT to coordinate CHW supervision activities across the district, during and post-pilot phases (e.g. teams coordination, tool availability, reports, etc.)
Information (CHIS and Community Scorecard)
- Facilitate CHIS and community scorecard setup and data use training
- Support the establishment of community scorecard committees across the district
- Provide relevant support to the CHW focal and M&E officer on CHIS activities (e.g. CHW monthly reports, PHUs with/without functional tablets and their effect on CHW reporting and incentive payments, etc.)
- Facilitate operationalization of the NCHWP Strategy
- Work closely with the CHW Focal to facilitate processes that would lead to quality implementation of the CHW program in the district (e.g. CHW supplies, incentive payments, etc.)
Other Coordination and Management Support
- Establish and sustain partnerships with MOH (national and district) counterparts and other stakeholders by facilitating stakeholder engagements (e.g. partner & community meetings, TWGs),
- Ensuring active participation in CHW program activities, and maintaining sound knowledge management practices (document and share information)
- Represent Last Mile Health in district-level events; coordinate with the Deputy Director before attending key events that would require LMH’s total participation
- Provide technical support to the DHMT to strengthen integration of the CHW program in the district (collaborate with the CHW Hub through the Regional Coordinator)
- Ensuring all Last Mile Health district-level operations are carried on in the most appropriate and cost-effective manner
- Work directly with the Operations Manager to establish and maintain sound operational management systems that align with Last Mile health Ops and Finance management processes
- Monitor and optimize the use and management of Last Mile Health resources in the district
- Maintain active relationships with business entities (managers, vendors, suppliers, staff); monitor the business environment and provide updates to the country team; keep up-to-date with market trends
- In consultation with the Finance and Operation Managers, oversee all Last Mile Health operations/financial transactions in the district (e.g. advice on procurement, managing petty cash, payment requests, liquidations, documentation of Ops/Finance transactions)
- Keep management informed on safety and security incidents in the district
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field; MBA, MPP, or MPH
- Progressive years of experience in coordinating and managing projects in the healthcare sector.
- Demonstrated experience working in primary healthcare
- Ability to work in a complex environment, manage competing priorities, and produce quality results in a short time
- Experience in promoting partnerships and multiple stakeholder groups, especially in the health space
- Ability to analyse programmatic and operational issues, collaborate with teams to develop solutions, and facilitate execution for quality improvement
- Demonstrated knowledge in Community Health Information Systems and DHIS2
- Comfortable working with district health teams and community structures in the implementation of community health interventions
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and submitting operational and programmatic reports
- Computer skills: MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have experience facilitating capacity-building initiatives for DHMT and frontline health workers
- You know about the National CHW Program
- You know about the Sierra Leone health system
- You have resource management capabilities
- You have knowledge of monitoring and supervising community health systems
At Last Mile Health, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means that we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to their identity or personal relationships. We have made this model fully transparent so that everyone has access to all information related to compensation. We hope this helps you better understand Last Mile Health’s values and commitments to our employees. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Before applying to this role, please take a moment to learn more about our approach to compensation and how compensation works in each of the countries where we operate. Please find the link to our compensation model and benefits overview below:
Compensation for this position:
The Band for this position: SLE-2
For Sierra Leone, the range is $6,420- $13,553 USD dependent upon experience doing an equivalent role. Please note that this compensation is subject to statutory taxes.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.