Health Financing Specialist
- Lilongwe, Malawi
- Full Time
- Mid Level
This role was posted on November 18, 2021. Please note that we will review applications on a rolling basis and prioritize those received within the first two weeks of posting.
At Last Mile Health (LMH), we make bold commitments that inspire innovation. Do you have experience supporting governments to unlock resources to strengthen health access? If so, you may be our next Health Financing Specialist.
Working in close partnership with the Ministry of Health and Population (MOHP), Last Mile Health is supporting the government to implement the National Community Health Strategy. The Health Financing Specialist will serve as a principal liaison to the MOHP’s Community Health Services Section (CHSS) in the area of health financing and will work in direct partnership with the MOH and key stakeholders to expand health sector financial resources (including mobilization via domestic resources, innovative financing mechanisms and external aid) available to the Government of Malawi for the National Community Health Strategy (NCHS).
What You’ll Do
- Support MOHP, CHSS team to design and implement a health financing advocacy strategy for improved resource mobilization, allocation, and management of community health programs, including continued utilization and updating of costing models, resource mapping and financial projections
- Support resource mapping and reviewing funding channels to identify and understand areas for potential resource mobilization and acquisition
- Support the identification and strengthening of mechanisms for financial sustainability for community health programming
- Work with relevant departments within the MOHP to support developing a range of materials on health financing for internal and external partners and funders to share analytical findings, recommendations, and to inform key policy decisions
- Support members of the MOHP in national and global advocacy convenings, including preparation, participation and coordination of global strategic partnership meetings for increased resource mobilization
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor's degree in related field
- Several years of professional work experience in applied health financing, including providing quantitative analysis and support services to governments and funders including economic modeling, econometrics, and budget/cost analysis
- Previous experience and knowledge of national and county-level government financing policies, procedures, and systems in resource-limited settings including costing tools and resource mapping tools, cost effectiveness analyses
- Previous experience and knowledge working with major donors to global health such as USAID, Global Fund, World Bank, GAVI
- Ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders, including funders, technical experts, and government personnel
- Ability to navigate complex government processes, and problem-solve to negotiate and achieve consensus with multiple stakeholders while balancing competing interests
- Mission-driven with a commitment to health and social justice
- Fluent in English and excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills
You’ll Impress Us If
- You have a Master’s degree
- You have prior experience working in partnership with the MOHP and an understanding of key stakeholders within the Malawian government
- You have demonstrated experience working within the health sector or in health programs with a focus on community health and maternal, newborn, and child health
At Last Mile Health, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means that we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to identity or personal relationships. We have made this model fully transparent, so that everyone has access to all information related to compensation. We hope this helps you better understand Last Mile Health’s values and commitments to our employees. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Before applying to this role, please take a moment to learn more about our approach to compensation and how compensation works in each of the countries where we operate. Please find the link to our compensation model and benefits overview below:
Compensation for this position:
The Band for this position: MWL-3
The base salary range for this position is: $25,000 - $45,000, dependent upon experience doing an equivalent role.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status