At Last Mile Health, we are all stewards of our reputation and our resources. Are you a highly-creative, strategic, professional with experience designing and implementing communications strategies? If so, you may be the next Managing Director, Communications at Last Mile Health.
Reporting to the Chief Development Officer, the Managing Director, Communications is a critical leader on the Partnerships & Communications team, and is responsible for designing and overseeing the implementation of Last Mile Health’s communication strategy for priority audiences. They will also provide strategic oversight of the Last Mile Health brand, with a focus on leveraging data and analytics. This position will support, mentor, and oversee a high-performing Communications team and will serve as the direct supervisor to the Director of Communications. This position will also serve on Last Mile Health’s senior leadership team and represent the organization externally to priority audiences.
This position is open to candidates located in Malawi, Liberia, Uganda, Ethiopia, and on the Eastern seaboard of the United States (preference to New York City and Boston). Candidates must have the ability to work in one of the countries listed above. Please note that our US offices are currently closed due to COVID 19 and all US based staff are working remotely.
What You'll Do
- Design and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive communications strategy, as aligned with Last Mile Health’s FY 20-23 Strategic Plan, to strengthen the organization’s brand, thought leadership, and impact communications to priority audiences
- In partnership with the Director of Communications, oversee the day-to-day operations of the Communications team and serve as final approver of content
- Identify challenges, risks, and emerging issues faced by the organization, and design and execute strategies to solve for them
- Build systems to collect and leverage data and analytics to strengthen Last Mile Health’s content and digital presence
- Cultivate and enhance relationships with priority, high-level external audiences, including the media and key influencers
- Proactively build relationships with top tier journalists for high-impact placements and serve as a spokesperson for the organization as needed
- Lead the creation and curation of an advisory function for the Communications division, with support from the Chief Development Officer
- Represent Communications team on the Executive Management Group and other relevant internal leadership bodies, including Advisory Council and Board of Directors
- Design the team’s commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion, as aligned with organization-wide priorities
What You'll Bring
- Demonstrated success in designing and implementing communications strategies and overseeing content development of high-priority deliverables
- Several years of experience with the media and new technologies, along with demonstrated skill in proactively building relationships with top tier journalists for high-impact placements
- Strong project management and people management skills, with experience growing and leading teams
- Deep social justice experience, preferably from the community health space
- Experience supporting senior leaders for high-profile speaking engagements
- A commitment to supporting diverse, proximal leaders to represent the organization externally
You'll Impress Us If
- You have experience crafting content or stories in underserved countries and/or are coming from the social impact industry.
- You have experience working on diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, particularly in the international development space
As LMH strives to increase transparency into our compensation principles we are highlighting below more details around our compensation policy and benefits associated with this position. In line with our compensation principles, this position will pay at the 50th to 60th percentile of the market to which you are employed. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
You can read about our competitive benefits offerings here.
Principles guiding our compensation policy:
- Data Driven: We benchmark salaries against large datasets containing compensation data from organizations with whom we compete for talent. We benchmark salaries for specific roles and specific candidate experience.
- Competitive: Candidates should be paid the most competitive salaries possible for their position given budgetary constraints. We aim to pay above market, typically between the 50th-60th percentile of the market.
- Transparent: Compensation policies should be transparent and easily understood. We want all candidates to understand how we set salaries and to know we aim to pay competitively.
- Equitable: Compensation should be implemented consistently across candidates of different identities, teams and geographies, while keeping into account the different talent markets and economies we operate in.
- Responsible: LMH needs to operate in a sustainable way and practice good stewardship of our resources.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world's most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Malawi, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.