Manager, Business Development
This role was posted on September 5, 2023. Please note that we will review applications on a rolling basis and prioritize those received within the first two weeks of posting.
As of March 1, 2022, Last Mile Health requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 wherever legally allowable and adhere to COVID-19 vaccination requirements to perform core work activities in all locations. To learn more, review our policy.
At Last Mile Health (LMH), we obsess about exceptional work. Do you have progressive experience with securing financing from institutional donors and are skilled at the development of strategic relationships, identifying and tracking funding opportunities, and conducting pipeline management? If so, you may be our next Manager, Business Development.
The Manager, Business Development will be responsible for supporting relationship management and business development activities at Last Mile Health. This position will secure financing for our programs from institutional donors such as the US Government, Global Fund, Gavi, and other government agencies. The Manager will support the development of strategic relationships, monitor business forecasts, conduct pipeline management, engage with country teams and global colleagues to inform funding opportunity assessments and manage the proposal development process.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Business Development, the manager will communicate and coordinate closely with the Partnership & Communications (P&C) department, LMH leadership, LMH country teams, and other counterparts to ensure the successful and sustainable implementation of Last Mile Health's revenue strategy, focusing on bilateral and multilateral institutions. This position will also manage proposal development for restricted grant opportunities with philanthropic or corporate donors as needed.
This role is located in Accra, Ghana and is open to nationals located in Ghana.
What you’ll do
- Regularly monitor business forecasts, press releases, RFP aggregators, and other sources of information about future funding opportunities with institutional donors.
- Establish a pipeline of institutional funding opportunities using Salesforce database and support the execution of a regular pipeline review meeting with members of LMH leadership; track and execute next steps; regularly update pipeline projections.
- Manage proposals for funding opportunities with institutional, philanthropic, or corporate donors. Establish timelines, facilitate opportunity vetting, develop templates, coordinate with teams for timely and high-quality inputs, and manage submissions. Develop written collateral for business development, including capability statements and proposal materials. This position is also involved in the pre- to post-award handover process.
- Establish and manage a process to liaise with country teams to capture and track information related to existing or future funding opportunities with institutional donors; travel to country programs and attend meetings as needed.
Systems & Process Implementation
- Execute consistent systems and processes for business development.
- Follow knowledge management processes: timely updates of Salesforce CRM and pipeline projections, proper cataloguing of all materials submitted to donors, and sharing materials and information with other Partnerships and Communications colleagues.
- Recommend improvements to business development processes.
- Track and support relationship management of LMH staff with counterparts in institutional donor institutions: prepare meeting agendas and background briefings, participate in meetings, track notes and follow-up, and proactively suggest relationship management tactics.
- Lead and support the production of communications collateral, such as briefing documents, presentations, and talking points for priority engagements, including for annual events such as the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) week, World Health Assembly, etc.; manage LMH’s participation in events as needed.
What You'll Bring
- Bachelor's degree; Master of Public Health, Master of Business Administration (MBA), or Master of Public Policy (MPP) a plus.
- Progressive experience in managing funding partner relationships, with a strong preference for experience in global health donors.
- Progressive experience in preparing or managing complex, multi-partner funding proposals.
- Strong process orientation, with the ability to identify, delegate, and track process steps.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and effectively communicate with relevant internal and external stakeholders about priorities.
- Familiarity with using Google Suite (Gmail, Google Drive, etc.).
You’ll Impress Us If
- Experience in writing funding proposals for various donor audiences
- Experience in developing meeting briefings and writing talking points
- Experience with Salesforce
At Last Mile Health, we strive to reward our employees equitably and transparently. This means that we pay our employees based on a clear and consistent methodology and without regard to their identity or personal relationships. We have made this model fully transparent so that everyone has access to all information related to compensation. We hope this helps you better understand Last Mile Health’s values and commitments to our employees. We look forward to answering any questions you may have during the hiring process.
Before applying to this role, please take a moment to learn more about our approach to compensation and how compensation works in each of the countries where we operate. Please find the link to our compensation model and benefits overview below:
Compensation for this position:
The Band for this position: GHA-3
For Ghana, the range is $22,260 - $37,100 dependent upon experience doing an equivalent role. Please note that this compensation is subject to Ghana taxes.
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health partners with governments to design, scale, strengthen, and sustain high-quality community health systems, which empower teams of community and frontline health workers to bring life-saving primary healthcare to the world’s most remote communities. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status