At Last Mile Health, we make bold commitments that inspire innovation. Are you a passionate advocate that has a record of driving global, national, and institutional policy change? If so, you may be our next Director, Advocacy.
The Director, Advocacy for the Health Systems team will lead the design and execution of Last Mile Health’s (LMH) Global Policy & Advocacy strategy. LMH is actively growing its advocacy portfolio to inform broader global health priorities and strategies to be inclusive of community health workforce programming.
Reporting to the Managing Director of Health Systems, this position will play a key role in defining the expanding reach and direction of our global policy and advocacy work. In particular, determining how we work with our country programs around regional and national policy-making, and the monitoring and accountability for the implementation of our advocacy strategy. This role will serve as a key advisor on emerging policy and accompanying positions across the organization.
Please note: There is only one Director, Advocacy position but the location of this position can be Boston, MA or New York City, NY
What You’ll Do
- Lead the execution of LMH’s global advocacy strategy and agenda
- Support the country office national advocacy agendas by providing technical advice and connecting to global advocacy trends and opportunities
- Develop, implement and monitor LMH’s advocacy activities and budgets, mentor and coach advocacy team members, and ensure coherence across country-based and global advocacy activities
- Manage high-profile engagements on community health policy at the global level, including influencing global agendas to raise awareness about the importance of effective community health programs within the Primary Healthcare/Universal Healthcare framework
- Build relationships with key partners and stakeholders within the civil society, NGO community, parliament, policy makers, as well as with local and international institutions
- Collaborate across LMH departments to cultivate partner relationships and input into funding proposals for advocacy
- With other key staff members, represent the organization externally at meetings and events organized and/or attended by key advocacy stakeholders
- Collaborate closely with LMH teams and external stakeholders to develop policy briefs and translate into relevant advocacy materials
What You’ll Bring
- Bachelor’s degree in public health, international relations, gender studies, political science, human rights, or a related field
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, International Studies / Public Policy or related field
- Significant and meaningful advocacy and/or public affairs experience aimed at influencing policy change
- Several years of management experience, preferably for an integrated team of national and international staff members
- Intimate knowledge of policy, international health and development issues at the global level
- Experience in managing high-level advocacy campaigns and coalitions of organizations across various geographies at national and global level
- Experience working with stakeholders at multiple levels- global partners, technical managers and national governments
You’ll Impress Us If
- Experience working with global senior level officials and/or national governments
- Experience in policy influencing in Sub Saharan Africa
About Last Mile Health
Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world's most remote communities by partnering with governments to bring critical primary care services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. LMH is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at LMH. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.